One of the most common questions we receive is 'how long does sterling silver last?' It's usually followed by 'can I wear sterling silver in the shower/pool/sea/while cleaning?'
Taking care of sterling silver jewellery is pretty easy and will help it last for years to come. Here are a few tips on how to look after your sterling silver jewellery:
- Clean your sterling silver jewellery regularly. Over time, sterling silver can tarnish and lose its shine. To clean your jewellery, use a soft cloth and a solution of warm water and mild dish soap. Gently rub the jewellery, paying special attention to any areas that are dirty or tarnished. Rinse the jewellery thoroughly with warm water and dry it with a soft cloth.
- Avoid exposing your sterling silver jewellery to harsh chemicals, such as bleach and chlorine. These chemicals can cause damage to the silver and weaken the metal.
- Store your sterling silver jewellery in a cool, dry place. You can store your jewellery in a tarnish-proof bag or airtight container to help slow down the tarnishing process. We send anti-tarnish tabs with all our jewellery. Anti-tarnish bags and tabs will not completely prevent tarnish but will slow down the process significantly.
- Don't wear your sterling silver jewellery in the sea or swimming pool. The chlorine and other chemicals in swimming pools can damage silver. You should also avoid exposing your jewellery to salt water, as salt will make sterling silver tarnish more quickly.
- Be careful when polishing your jewellery and always use a jewellery polishing cloth. Some other polishing cloths contain abrasive materials that could scratch or damage your jewellery. We sell polishing cloths that are safe to use on sterling silver and gold jewellery.
- Try to be aware of your jewellery. Sterling silver is a soft metal, so it's possible to scratch it.
- Check your sterling silver jewellery for any damage or wear and tear. If you notice any signs of damage, such as dents or scratches, take your jewellery to a jeweller for repair or maintenance.
By following these tips, you can keep your sterling silver jewellery looking beautiful and lasting for years to come. Remember to handle your jewellery gently and avoid exposing it to harsh chemicals. Keep it clean and store it in a safe place when not in use. With proper care, your sterling silver jewellery will remain a cherished possession for many years to come.